Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fly Line Winder


As you know, proper reel maintenance is a must if you fish salt water. Several years ago I made a simple line winder out of some scrap wood I had. Very simply, I mounted the reel using metal straps and screws, made a couple of disks out of Masonite to clamp the line spool to a vertical block of wood. While this worked fine, it wasn't very easy to set up.

My second prototype involved a "cleat" like reel mount and plastic cable ties, see photo at the top. Again, this worked but I didn't like the way it looked and It's a bit difficult to make.

From this idea, I came up with the following solution. It allows me to quickly change, load, store, measure, or clean my fly lines. I can also use it to load and unload backing lines too.

No comments:

Post a Comment